register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

immigration museum in Melbourne

I just came back from the immigration museum in Melbourne. I really enjoyed it and recommend anyone with any background to go and see the exhibition.
The history of australia's immigration as well as your identity and racisms were discussed. What I found interesting the most was the individual's stories and identification that lots of immigrants and second generation australians experience in the every day lives.
Melbourne is know for a diverse multi cultural city. Being a non-white resident in Australia, I have had my share of discomfort. Race is one thing but there are others. How you look, what you wear, eat, your accent, your job etc.
You cannot change how others think of you and treat you but YOU have a power to change how you think. Being proud of who you are could do that....
http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/

No comments:

Post a Comment