register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Monday, May 21, 2012

buddha's day and multicultural festival

I was honoured to have an opportunity to do a cooking demonstration at Buddha's day and multicultural festival at Federation square.
Some Buddhists choose to become vegetarian out of respect for all life and the First Buddhist precept of non-violence and killing. Becoming a vegetarian also allows Buddhists to cultivate compassion.


My session was from 12:30 till 1:30. Even though it had been raining in the morning we had a bit of sunshine coming thorough the clouds by the time I started.


I demonstrated these three dishes
- raw cauliflower and sweet potato couscous with brazilnut parmesan
- simple lentil hotpot with coconut
- apple layers with carob caramel and pistachio


Unfortunately because of the health regulations there was no tastings allowed but I had so much positive feedbacks from the participants as well as volunteers.


I certainly enjoyed the demonstration as well as talking to the volunteers. They are all so sweet and helpful, making the whole experience easy and pleasant. 



it is on every year so if you missed it this year make sure to put that in your diary.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yoko, I am Huiting, the host of your session of demonstration cooking. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the cooking demonstration and the festival. We hope to see you again next year and I am very interested in your food philosophy and wish to learn more from you. I will pay you a visit at RMIT one day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huiting,
      Thanks for the comment. And thank you for being a wonderful host on the day. it was good to have someone asking questions and helping me. Love to catch up soon. come anytime (though the cafe is closed for the uni break for the next 6 weeks) or send me an email.
      hope you are well.

      Delete