register for updates and specials from shokuiku

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

take a break from your busy life a little


when people ask me how I have been or how the week has been I have caught myself saying "great. busy but being busy is good for me" most of the time.
When did I start thinking that being busy is good for me I don't know.
It is easy to lose touch with ourselves when our busy everyday routines leave us no time to think and to realise how we are surrounded by beautiful  pleasurable things everywhere.

My daughter is nearly 9 years old now. She knows I am busy with work and it robs our time together that we used to have when I was not working. I am so fortunate to have her support and patience. One day after school we came home and as usual I started to think what I need to do. She came in a bit later and said to me. " mum, can i say something?" I asked what it was. She replied "Look, I have been making a boat" She showed me what she made with leaves and flowers she picked from our garden. Then she continued "Mum, I would love it if you would make one with me" I was about to say "No i can't. I have to do some work" but I didn't. I said ok and sat down with her to make a boat, just like what we used to do. We used to collect little nature things and made all sort of things. boat, bouquet,  pretend meals, house etc. I have forgotten I wonderful it was.
We made a boat each with little flowers inside and we placed them in a paddle just outside our house together.
Thanks Layla for reminding me

 "There is more to life than increasing its speed." 
--Mahatma Gandhi
"When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world, we lose connection with one another - and ourselves"
--Jack Kornfield

No comments:

Post a Comment